Saturday, October 16, 2010

Alcohol

We're having our wedding at a state park, and we are not allowed to bring alcohol. Our wedding and reception, therefore, must be alcohol-free. Because I don't drink, I don't mind this rule at all. My fiance is indifferent about it too. He drinks but not to the point of recklessness or dependency in the least. A lot of my family members drink, as do my friends and his friends. I'm definitely the odd-man-out when it comes to drinking.

I keep worrying that no one is going to have fun at our wedding. Really worried. Like to the point of nightmares. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling shaky and anxious, all because my dreams are of people sitting around with their arms crossed while music is playing but there's an empty dance floor. It's really starting to bother me.

I can have fun without drinking. I do it all the time. In fact, the last time I got drunk, I wasn't having fun at all because I was throwing up the whole time. So I haven't been drunk in 8 years but I've had TONS of fun since then! Karaoke, dancing, bachelorette parties...I always have a good time. So I'm not worried about myself not having fun, but I know that others aren't so ready-made for fun and need encouragement. I don't want people to come to my wedding and leave early because there's no alcohol. I don't want people to not come at all when they find out it'll be a dry wedding (it's listed as such on our wedding website).

So I'm plagued by this. We're going to look into seeing if there's a special allowance for private functions like this, but I'm not sure.

I don't know. I want my wedding to be fun, but I feel like the odds are working against me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm worried about the same thing! FH and I don't drink often, and don't want to get drunk at our wedding, and wanted to save some money so we looked for a place that didn't allow alcohol -- now I'm regretting it! Our reception is at a fire hall that doesn't allow alcohol. I'm afraid that because of this, no one will dance and enjoy the music, or even enjoy the reception. Because of this, we have planned to keep the reception pretty short, allowing 1 hour for dinner, 1 hour for special dances, cake cutting, etc, and 1 hour for dancing. Make sure you express the concern to your DJ, because sometimes they will pay attention to what's going on, and if the floor is empty, they'll play a song like the YMCA, and try to get everyone on the dance floor. i hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alisa.

    We plan to have a couple of games too, like Cornhole and Murbles (a game my FH plays with his friends). We will also have a makeshift photo booth set up and dancing. I know a few people who will get up and dance with or without alcohol, so hopefully they'll get things started.

    ReplyDelete