Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Do-it-yourself card box

I'm not crafty at all. Like, at all. I can't even spin yarn balls (more on that in another blog). I've never been creative and I have difficulty figuring out how to make things even with simple instructions. But I found something that I loved! A DIY card-box, for when the guests brought a card as a gift or as a wish-you-well and need somewhere to put it. I got the idea from this post, but we had to change it up a little bit. We bought cheap Dollar Tree picture frames and when Jared tried to screw the L-brackets in, the frames started to crack! So we improvised with a glue gun instead and it worked just fine. Next we used foam board to sit on the L-brackets. I covered the top of the foam board with a cute piece of green fabric I found at Wal-Mart (did you know they sell just "swatches" for like a buck? That was perfect size. I even had some left over...I'll figure out what to do with the rest). I hot glued everything I could, even the fabric onto the foam board. On the bottom, I just rested of the foam board on top of the L-brackets so the cards would have somewhere to land. It was really super simple! I have one piece left to finish. I'm going to try to find a lazy Susan so I can put it on the bottom and it'll spin around, like in the Road to the Aisle blog.

I spent less than $20 on this. 4 frames from Dollar Tree ($4), 4 mats ($5), 4 pictures ($1), 4 sets of L-brackets ($4), a cork board ($1), and a piece of green fabric ($1). I don't know how much the lazy Susan will be but I'm guessing not more than a couple of bucks!

The pictures we used were sort of fun. They're from our engagement shoot that our friends did. The one with the date in it was when we were trying to take a cute picture with our date in the background and Jared's phone rang. It was funny that our friends kept snapping pictures and the looks on our face b/c we didn't recognize the number. The other picture of us laughing is from Jared making some sort of inappropriate joke while we were trying to pose sweetly on a lawn. Then I love the picture she got of my ring...I didn't even know she took it until she sent it to me! It's the only "close up" I have of my ring so far. And the last picture is just one of my favorite pictures of us...it's just sweet :)

So here are the pictures of our card box. I'm pretty proud of it. Actually very proud.

1 comment:

  1. I plan to do this, too! I'm glad to hear that it's not difficult. Yours looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete